About the Recipe
Sweet griddled peaches & tangy salty "feta" are a heavenly match in this moreish salad!
Our recipe involves making your own "feta" (0.65kg CO2e), which means you can reduce the climate impact of this meal by 70% compared to using traditional feta (2.13kg CO2e).
This feta is really easy to whip up without any specialist equipment and it's vegan-friendly.
Our low carbon feta is at maximum flavour after a day or two of marinating, so make a batch beforehand when possible.
Low Carbon Feta - make ahead!
300g extra-firm tofu
2 tbsp (30ml) sunflower oil
1 tbsp (15ml) apple cider vinegar
1 tsp (5ml) lemon juice
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp water
4 tbsp (60ml) olive oil
2 tbsp (30ml) balsamic vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup
1 small clove of garlic (2g)
Pinch of salt
Good grind of black pepper
1 tsp sunflower oil
4 ripe, but firm, peaches (600g)
½ Red onion (65g)
Baby Spinach (70g)
Basil leaves (10g)
How to make the recipe
1. Make your feta. Cut your tofu into 1cm cubes. In a jug or bowl, mix together the sunflower oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast, dried oregano, & water to make a marinade. Place your tofu pieces into a container or bowl and pour over the marinade. Mix everything to coat the tofu. Leave to marinate for at least an hour, ideally overnight.
I find it easiest to use Tupperware or an old takeaway container, secure the lid, and give everything a good shake.
2. Make your dressing. Mince the garlic clove and add to a jug or bowl along with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, a pinch of salt and a grind of black pepper. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
3. Toast almonds. Roughly chop the almonds. Add to a dry saucepan and toast over med heat until they are fragrant and have taken on a slight colour. Shake them around every now and then to prevent burning. This should take around 2-3 mins.
4. Griddle the peaches. Cut the peaches in half along their seam, twist them and carefully scoop out the pip. Brush a teaspoon of oil along a griddle pan. Place peaches, cut face down, onto the griddle and leave to cook for 6 minutes.
5. Mix the salad. Finely slice your red onion into half-moons and separate each piece. In a large bowl, add the rocket, baby spinach, basil leaves and red onion. Pour over 2/3 of the dressing and toss all the ingredients to combine.
6. Serve. Top the salad with your "feta" and toasted almonds. Serve with two peach halves per person and the remaining dressing.